Thursday, May 11, 2023

DAY 27: Painted Rocks

 My mother became known for her landscape paintings. Mostly she painted trees. She had a little bit of the Bob Ross in her paintings only without the mountains. She used oil paints. Her collectors were our neighbors. She wasn't very good with portraits or people, though she did place third in an amateur art show at the GM Tech Center with a picture of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns.

When I was in college, I took some of her discards with me to decorate my apartment. My roommate and I had a gallery showing of her work and asked the guests to name the paintings. Young Innocent with Giant Duck Footprint is now part of a collection in the Museum of bad art. Variations of Bleak has been lost.

For a long time, my mother painted scenes on rocks she then gave as gifts. The last one I remember seeing was an oval flat stone with the Charlevoix Nuclear Power Plant painted on it. Apparently, rock painting is a big thing.

STUMPSTONE QUOTE OF THE DAY:

As with other phases of nature, I have probably loved rocks more as I studied them.--John Burroughs


DAY 27: Painted Rocks


No comments:

Post a Comment

DAY 31: Paper Weight

Thirty-one days ago I started this blog. I've shared some stories. I've punted a few times. Now I think I'm going to scale back....